Liebster Award Nomination
Oh my, oh my! We are thrilled to announce we have been nominated for, and accepted, a blogger peer recognition award – Liebster Award. We are just three short months in this blogging journey and we have been blown away how warmly we’ve been welcomed into the travel blogger community! We are also so grateful to our readers from around the world who have found their way to our site, and are joining our journey.
Thank you so much to Perri from Seeking the Spanish Sun for the nomination. We love reading about her adventures exploring Spain, chasing the sun and soaking in the culture of her adopted home. Perri’s post on why everyone should travel is one of our favourites!
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award started in 2011, as a new blogger peer recognition award. In the beginning the rules were quite simple – acknowledge the nominator and nominate 5 new bloggers that you like.
Liebster (German) = Dearest (English)
Over the years it’s evolved and is overseen by The Global Aussie, who updates the rules each year. The main rules for 2017 are the following:
- Thank the blogger that nominated you.
- Who is your favorite blogger and why?
- Provide 10 random facts bout yourself.
- Answer the questions provided by your nominator.
- Choose 5-11 blogs that you feel deserve the Liebster award.
- Provide your own questions to your nominations.
- Inform the bloggers that you’ve nominated them and make them aware of the rules.
One of our favourite travel bloggers is Matt from Land Lopers. Matt is funny, insightful and always very honest. Through his writing, Matt warmly welcomes you along his journey around the world in a wonderfully descriptive and approachable manner.
10 Facts About Us
- We were introduced by a mutual friend, who Peggy met when traveling around Scotland. Peggy shared a story about a family member, and our friend realized she was talking about Meaghan’s family. The rest is history.
- Working 9-5 is not for us.
- We live for getting ID’ed and have an unspoken competition about it.
- We are both very competitive.
- Most would describe us as life long students.
- We both love U2, but just realized that after 8 years of friendship.
- Cheese is all we need.
- Well and gin. We both love gin and cheese.
- Meaghan’s husband and Peggy’s partner are both of Norwegian decent.
- We have very different views on certain things, but compliment and respect each other nicely.
A good friend is like a four-leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have.
Questions Asked By Seeking The Spanish Sun
1.What made you decide to start a blog?
Wandering Gaels is a heritage travel blog with a dash of history, culture, food and drink, written by two friends planning to explore the towns and villages from where their families hail. First stop is Ireland.
We have created this site to share our journey as we work together to research our family, chronicle our travels, photography, and share our passions for culture, heritage, and food.
2. Where was your first overseas trip?
Meaghan’s first trip overseas was to Ireland. Peggy’s first trip was to the U.K. We are the Wandering Gaels for a reason!
3. What is your funniest travel memory?
It’s Impossible to think of one; there are just too many.
Umm… consider our answer the twirling multicolour Apple wheel. We’re thinking…
4. What do you think is the most annoying thing a tourist can do?
After working for a tourism board for several summers, Peggy is well versed to answer this question… Having complete disregard for other people and lack of respect for the places they are visiting. I’m talking about obnoxious selfie taking, littering and overall ill-mannered behaviour.
5. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
We are enjoying the outlet of blogging as a means of sharing our journey to learning more about our families and the places that are inspiring us. We both want to develop as writers and the blog gives us an outlet to write (also creates deadlines!).
6. Where are your top 3 travel destinations?
Ireland, Scotland and Canada.
7. What is the best food you’ve eaten during your travels?
Without a doubt Meaghan would say smaženy syr in Prague. Smaženy syr is a delicious fried cheese sandwich with two buns wrapped around it. Topped with mustard or a mayo, it is the best treat enjoyed with or after a few Czech beers.
Peggy would say lobster mac and cheese from her favourite Halifax pub. Nothing compares with this Atlantic twist on this favourite comfort food.
8. Where would you choose to live, if you could live anywhere?
We would both say Vancouver.
9. What advice would you give to your younger self?
We would give ourselves the advice not to take life so seriously, and travel as much as you can – school, life & work will be there waiting for you when you get back.
10. Where are you traveling to next?
Meaghan is off to Vancouver next, and Peggy is off to Montana.
Adventure Love Travel – Ashely describes her site as “a thirtysomething wayfarer’s tips and tricks for affordable but epic travel”. As fellow planning nerds we totally love her approach to travel planning and reading about her journeys!
Destination: Live Life – Kara is self described as travel obsessed, and we are obsessed with her!! Her site is a great combo of sharing travel hack tips, reviews and recommendations from her personal travels.
Evan’s Atlas – We first connected with Evan via social media and were hooked by his fun loving approach to travel and life! His posts make us long for our student days, or maybe just our 20s 😉 He will definitely inspire you to get our and explore with his budget friendly hacks and tips.
My Travel Diary – We love this fellow curious girls and following along with her travels! Parnashree has lived a very full, cool life. She writes a travel blog you will definitely want to check out!
Plane & Simple – Really who better than a flight attendant to get travel tips and advice from?! Tanisha is living a life we are just a little jealous of (in a very good way of course!!). We love her aesthetic, and can’t wait to see when she travels next.
Questions for Nominees
- Why did you start your travel blog?
- What is your favourite post that you’ve written, and why?
- Who would you most like to see in an airport, and why?
- What do you think of selfie sticks?
- How do you decide where to travel?
- What is the thing you miss most about home while travelling?
- How was travel changed you?
- Do you have a guilty pleasure while travelling?
- What is the number 1 place on your travel bucket list?
- What’s your travel style (off the beaten path, popular sites, sand and sun, adventure, nature-lover, etc.)?
- How do you like to travel? I.E Solo, in groups, with partner, family, budget or luxury?